Monday, October 11, 2004

oki doki; assignment 2:

Well I finished this assignemt much quicker than the last oneJJ. I asked three persons if they felt more catalan or spanish? Why? And if they wanted Catalunya to be independent from Spain?

The first person I asked was the recepcionist at my fitness center here in Barcelona. She is a women in here mid 30`s and she has been living in Barcelona all her life. She always referred herself as a catalan person, this because she lives in catalunya and all her family as well. She always speaks in catalan and follow the catalan culture. She also said that she could understand if foreigners called her spanish but not if anyone from elsewhere in Spain did so.
She also would very much like to see catalunya independent. She felt that Catalunya and Spain was very different from each other.

The second one I asked was my aerobic-instructor. She is a 25 year old women, and she has also been living here in Barcelona all her life. She was not so precistent on this topic as the other one was, but she always spoke off herself as a catalan, and not as a spanish. She felt that she could identify with the catalan culture more than the spanish. She didn`t give me an answer on the question about wether she wanted Catalunya to be independent or not. But I think that this probably could have something to do with language-barrier, because she didn`t speak much english and I don`t speak that good spanish. So either she didn`t understand the question or didn`t know how to explain it in english or she just didn`t had an opinion.

The third person I asked was a worker at my local grocery store. He is a man between 25-30 years old, and he moved here to Barcelona 8 years ago, from Marocco. He said that he did`t identify much with the catalan culture, so he never called himself catalan. But if people asked him he either said that he was spanish or sometimes he just said that he was an african (maroccon?!) who lived in Spain. Since he didn`t identify with catalunya or the catalan cuture he didn`t have an opinion on the subject of wether Catalunya should be independent or not.

I though this was an interesting assignment-and you get the opportunity to talk to catalan people and hear a little bit about their culture and how they regard themselves.

1 Comments:

Blogger Graham said...

Hi Lene!

It seems as if you have chosen a good range of people to ask for our second assignment. I'm glad you found the assignment interesting - it's also an excuse for you to get talking to people, and what better a subject to start with than how they feel about who they are and where they live?

I was interested in the response from your grocer. I think there can be a danger with a culture that is too nationalistic in outlook - it can end up excluding the people upon whose survival it depends on.

I don't know if I'm making myself very clear, but take this as an example. The outgoing President of the Catalan Government, Jordi Pujol, was recenlty caught saying that he thought the increase in immigration was bad for Catalonia and Catalan culture as the people and area would become "less Catalan". The current President's opinion is that Catalonia should embrace immigration and encourage everyone to become involved in the Catalan society, integrating, but also bringing the best of their own culture to the attention of the other people who live here. you can see that in the way that the Generalitat promotes other cultures. As far as I'm concerned, it can only be a positive thing, and essential if Catalonia is able to survive and adapt.

I'll look forward to hearing more from you

Graham

October 11, 2004 at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home